BEAVERTON, October 21, 2022 — USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) has just announced the USB4® 2.0 Specification, allowing for USB-C transfers of 80 Gbps. Along with USB4® 2.0, the USB-IF also released USB4 Spec v2.0, USB Power Delivery Release 3.1 v1.6, USB Type-C® Cable, and Connector Specification Release 2.2.
Branding Overview (Photo: USB-IF)
The new update brings new USB logos, with the new USB4 2.0 Branding focusing on transfer rate and power output.
New USB Releases (Photo: USB-IF)
3 Major Characteristics of the New USB 80Gbps Solution
- The solution offers up to 80Gbps transfers through the utilization of a new physical layer architecture based on PAM3 signal encoding, USB Type-C passive cables, and USB Type-C active cables.
- Optionally for certain applications, such as driving high-performance USB4-based displays, the USB Type-C signal interface can be configured asymmetrically to deliver up to 120Gbps in one direction while retaining 40Gbps in the other direction.
- The solution offers updates to data and display protocols for better use of the increase in available bandwidth.
- USB data architecture updates now enable Enhanced SuperSpeed USB data tunneling to exceed 20Gbps.
- Aligns with DisplayPort™ Revision 2.1 and PCI Express® Revision 4.
- Backward compatibility with all previous versions of USB.
Guidelines for identifying certified USB 80Gbps solutions and cables will follow the new unified USB-IF branding and marketing program. As a reminder, USB specification names and technical terminology are not intended for use when describing USB capabilities to end consumers.
For more recent product and technology announcements, please see the USB-IF website: www.usb.org
For more on the USB-IF Certification and branding information, please see: www.usb.org/logo-license
For more information on other USB updates, please see: https://www.usb.org/documents
About the USB-IF
About the USB-IF The non-profit USB Implementers Forum, Inc. was formed to provide a support organization and forum for the advancement and adoption of USB technology as defined in the USB specifications. The USB-IF facilitates the development of high-quality compatible USB devices through its logo and compliance program and promotes the benefits of USB and the quality of products that have passed compliance testing.
About Allion Labs
Founded in 1991, Allion Labs is a pioneer in the validation and certification of IT and consumer electronics. Based in Taipei, Allion has branches across the globe in Japan, China, South Korea, Europe, and the USA, providing over 30 compliance certification tests, such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, LoRa, Wi-SUN, USB, DisplayPort, and HDR10+ Certification services. Allion provides quality test services such as product compatibility and reliability testing to help manufacturers build quality products.
Allion has been a USB Authorized Test Lab for decades, capable of performing all USB-related test services. We offer the newest USB4 and 240W certifications services as well as USB4 Gen. 3, USB4 Gen. 2, USB 3.2, USB 2.0, USB Type-C®, and many more. In addition, we provide test fixtures such as the USB4 Golden Plug and other superior test fixtures.
If you have any USB testing needs, please contact us at: email@example.com
USB4®, USB Type-C®, and USB-C® are USB-IF registered trademarks.
PCI Express® and PCIe® are PCI-SIG registered trademarks.
DisplayPort™ is a VESA registered trademark.